Monday, March 11, 2013

3. Factors of Food Choices




Social factors that drive our food choices can be advertising, social pressure, and regions of the country.  My boyfriend was born and raised in San Diego and has to eat a burrito a week.  Psychological factors that drive our food choices can be emotional comfort, positive and negative association.  For negative association, I remember as a kid, sitting at our dinner for an hour because my mother wouldn’t let me leave until I finished my vegetables. Philosophical factors that drive our food choices can be values or beliefs.  Muslims choose not to eat pork because of their religious beliefs.  During Lent, Catholics would not eat meat on Fridays because of their religious beliefs.  Physical factors that drive our food choices can be weight, personal preferences and genetic inheritance.  A persons weight can be a factor in a persons nutritious decisions.  For instance, people who want to lose weight would have a strict diet that prevents poor eating choices. 


Sizer, F. S., & Whitney, E. (2012). Nutrition: Concepts and Controversies (12th ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.

No comments:

Post a Comment